Tuesday, January 24, 2012

CONVERTIBLE CRIB/TODDLER BED NURSERY SET
 I am just totally excited to post a project that has been in the works for the last six months. Let me clarify, it doesn't take that long to finish, but I literally bought the fabric for this project six months ago. My January resolution is to finish projects that I have already purchased materials for, especially ones for my 2yr old daughter and my new baby boy who is about to arrive any day now! Might I add, what a great way to curb this nesting appetite of mine!
This is a fabulous tutorial for a fun fresh look for a crib or, as I found, for a toddler bed as well. We moved my daughter into a toddler bed around Christmas time because she started crawling out, and not too gracefully either! After a few weeks of hearing her bonk her head on the frame as she slept, with a few bruises and even a bloody nose to show for it, we started wrapping that caterpillar creature you can see in the corner and a few blankets around her to pad the frame. Of course, this just didn't satisfy me, so first thing on my agenda was to finish her bedding and to use the crib bumper in this fashion.



 
You can see in this picture how I took the additional bumper segment and used it on the headboard to give added protection above her pillow as well. This also gave a space for crawling in and out of the bed without tromping down one of the pads.


I don't know if its just the fabric or the beautiful bright colors that I love, but isn't this just the cutest way to add some safety and comfort to your toddler's room! My little one just loves her "big girl" bed and has to show it to everyone! 


 
The best part about this set, is that it can be used in a crib and then converted over to a toddler bed, giving more years of use to spread out the cost of the project! Below is a picture of the same patterns shown in a crib. The pleated bed skirt is the only exception, which I thought gave a more masculine look for a boy's room. My little boy should be here anytime, so I figured now is the time to get this project done before my mommy workload doubles!





Here are the tutorials for the crib sheet, ruffled bed skirt, bumper pad, and the pleated bed skirt. Stay tuned for some fun coordinating accessories that I plan to make for my toddler's room and for the new nursery. Happy sewing! I would love to see what fabrics you choose to create your own nursery bedding!

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment