Saturday, January 21, 2012

SATURDAY---PENDLETON WHISKEY UPGRADE

Good afternoon everyone! I hope you are having a fantastic Saturday! For those of you in the Hermiston/Pendleton area, be very careful on the roads today. I have always been told that ice is the most dangerous when it starts to melt and today looks like a lot of melting is going to happen!


My husband and I got the big idea to have Pendleton whiskey bottles cut down to glasses. We originally thought they would be perfect as whiskey glasses to be given with a fifth of whiskey to some friends for Christmas. After we had them cut down, my husband said the glasses were way to big and it would be like drinking a double!  He also said that by the time you got to the bottom of your glass that the ice would have melted and made your whiskey watered down. Who knew? I am not a whiskey drinker, I just saw possibilities with the bottles!  So, I immediately got excited about replacing our water glasses from college days. Remember these (below)? I am pretty sure they were a cheap buy about ten years OR MORE ago. Believe it or not, those glasses are also clean, as clean as I can get them here on the farm with hard, hard water! Needless to say, it was nothing to box these babies up and send them to the Agape house!



This is how the pendleton whiskey bottles turned out. It took about 3 years and a couple households to provide all the fifths of Pendleton bottles.  They clean up very well in our dishwasher and don't show the hard water deposits at all.  They are a very heavy, chunky glass, but everyone seems to compliment them!




 You can have this done at your local glass shop in town. We had ours done at Hermiston glass for $10 per bottle. I recommend paying to have it done by a glass shop if you are going to use these for drinking. The glass place does an excellent job of leveling the cuts and sanding down the edges to a smooth, safe surface.



Sometime in December my husband found the Pendleton 1910 bottle that has a neat western scroll design with a pendleton bucking horse, so we had that bottle made into a whiskey glass. It turned out to be the right size, so we got another bottle to have a matching set made. These would be really great as a gift.



I tried to get a little closer in a different light to show the bucking horse.




Here is another creative idea with bottles that I found on pinterest. I took half gallon Pendleton whiskey bottles and had the same local glass place cut the bottoms off.  Since these won't be used for drinking, you could easily cut your own glass and save yourself a dime ( I found a bunch of different tutorials and methods when I searched through pinterest and google).  I plan to find candles to put under them to add a little ambiance next to my jacuzzi tub.  I haven't found the right color and size of candle yet, but here is another candle I had just to give you the main idea. If you did cut the bottle yourself, you would have to remember to cut the bottom in a fashion that would allow air flow to suck in the bottom and out the top if you plan to use real candles. I don't particularly like the smell of smoke when you put a candle out, so I plan to use the battery operated ones.



Below is a bell made from a pendleton whiskey bottle that my grandpa made. He cut his own glass and secured the bell to the cork .  Its a cute little decoration on my mantle.




There are obviously a lot of different things that you can do with recycled bottles. My husband also made a half gallon bottle into a lamp for my folks. He plans to make another one, so I will post a full tutorial when he does. Its a really neat western look.

I hope you enjoyed these ideas! This next week will be filled with more DOING and less TALKING now that I have some the blog bugs worked out!

Have a great weekend!

Heather

4 comments:

  1. Love all these ideas...we have actually been saving ours for glasses for a few months...but I do have 3 next to my stove that are in tact that I put beans, rice and noodles in..great decor and displays what we have for soups and food

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whiskey is so cheap and so awful that you might want to pour it into an empty bottle of a classier liquor in case you die of alcohol poisoning in the night. Glass bottles Suppliers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing.
    personalized engraved whiskey glasses

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. plastic bottles suppliers

    ReplyDelete