Monday, January 30, 2012

MAKEOVER MONDAY--MY OFFICE/CRAFT ROOM MAKE-OVER PART 1

Good morning! This is PART 1 of my office makeover- the organization of my desk area.  My office was horribly cluttered and unorganized, especially at my desk.  So my goal was to add some features for organization and to give it a cleaner look with a fresh color. Here is the BEFORE pictures of the desk wall/area.


The picture below was a really cute arrangement of my daughters pictures from birth to present.



However, my goal was to get some organization on my wall that would clear up the cluttered desk.



This is the AFTER.


These three blocks are cork board covered with cotton fabric, to be used for pinning up important notes, coupons, etc.


I got a pack of four 12" x 12" at walmart. Cut the fabric 1 inch larger than the perimeter. Folded over the edge and hot glued down to the board.


I made sure to tuck the corners, like you would on a present, to make the corners nice and sharp.  Then add whatever ribbon or embellishments you would like, attached with hot glue in the same manner.


 
The old shutters were something I had sitting around. I just added a fresh coat of paint and nailed to the wall to be used as a wall file. I would have to encourage spray paint on these, as the traditional paint was hard to get between the slates and to keep from dripping. 


This door was picked up at the Junk Barn Girls first showing this last summer. I picked it up unfinished for $20. Painted on the color I wanted, plus some chalk board paint from home depot. I planned to use it for my project list, but it is currently my daughters favorite thing to decorate with her colored chalks.



This frame I use with clothes pins to hang just about anything. I just love the chicken wire!



I got the frame on a black Friday special two years ago from walmart. I just simply painted it flat black and stapled on a piece of chicken wire. Then I painted clothes pins to use for hanging. Turned out super cute!




I used another of the same kind of frame to make a magnet board (not shown in the office yet). Again, just painted it flat black, cut a piece of roofing metal from home depot to size, and hung it on the wall. Quite possibly a DIY magnet tutorial in the near future!



That's all for now! Stay tuned for Part 2 of this makeover. I will post it in about a month, as there are a few things I have left to do that must wait until after I have this baby! It will definitely be the most exciting part of the makeover yet! I can't wait to share it!! :)


Heather



1 comment:

  1. Heather, I've enjoyed your blog so far, especially this makeover. I like your metal magnet board idea. I saw someone do something similar and hang it on the wall in their bathroom. They had glued magnets to the backs of their small flat makeuup containers, like eyeshadow, and then kept them attached to the board, thereby uncluttering their counters. Also, I'm jealous that you just had some shutters lying around...what a cool way to use them, as mail slots. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete